Thursday, February 2, 2017

The Role of Technology in Collecting Indian Stamps



Technology has had its impact in many sectors. It has made our lives easier than ever before. The world literally has become a very small place. Staying in touch with someone who is a world apart is just a matter of few clicks. Social networking sites have made traditional meals of communication almost obsolete. Gone are the days when letters and telegrams were used and we needed to wait for several days just to get a reply. Though most of the changes have been revolutionary and positive, there have been many drawbacks of technology as well. Pollution and ecological imbalance are some of them. I love collecting Indian Stamps and I can see the impact of technology on my hobby as well. 


I started off at an early age and I was introduced to some beautiful collections of stamps of India by my friends in school. Back in those days, letters were an important means of communication. I remember the postman uncle who visited my home frequently with a smile on his face. When was the last time you saw a postman at your doorsteps? I am not talking about courier boys but the postman in his smart khaki shirt. I started collecting all Indian stamps that I could and later started creating my own themes of flowers, birds, monuments etc. Slowly but steadily, I started growing my collection of stamps of India. I exchanged duplicate Indian stamps that I had in my collection with some unique ones. But as the web world saw a big boom in early 2000 and Y2K happened, there has been a drastic shift in the way people started looking at stamp collecting as a hobby. It is sad to see young kids today whiling away their time on the internet rather than gaining some kind of knowledge by collecting stamps. 

I am really thankful to not be a part of this current generation. At least by collecting Indian stamps, I gained a lot of general knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment