Friday, January 27, 2017

Once a Collector of Old Indian Coins, always a Collector!



Collectors have their own interests. They like to specialize in certain kinds of coins. Numismatics is such a vast subject that the more you learn, the less it is. The world has been ruled by so many emperors. Each one might have issued a different coin under his or her regime. So imagine how many coins are out there to be collected. Just like every other collector, I like collecting Old Indian Coins. Except for British India coins and republic coins if India, I am always looking out for Indian old coins that have been issued from the ancient and medieval times. 


One of the first old Indian coins that I collected was the one I took from my uncle’s collection for free. My uncle was kind enough to give me a silver coin that was issued by Akbar the great. I was in the 6th or the 7th standard then and was reading about Akbar and Mughal history in my text books. Holding a coin that was issued under Emperor Akbar himself was an out of the world experience. I unknowingly started falling in love with history. From that point onwards I was always keen on collecting Indian old coins by hook or by crook. It was only when I grew up that I realized that collecting old Indian coins is a hobby that many pursue.  

After a point though, since I belong to a middle class family, I had to take up science and then engineering. Today, I have an IT job in a fairly good company. But somewhere deep down there, there is that collector in me which still wants to collect Indian old coins. I think, no matter what you end up doing, the coin collector in you will always make you keep collecting! Almost like you can’t take out water from the life of a fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment