Saturday, January 28, 2017

My Curious Nature Led me to Collecting Indian Notes



As the years pass by, our standards of living always keeps on increasing. And with that, there is a need to release higher denomination currency. Many a times we hear of stories from our parents and grandparents of how they used to buy a lot of things with just 1 rupee or some paisas for that matter. The 100 rupees Indian Notes that we use today might not fetch you anything in maybe 20 years. Its value could be as much a 1 rupee of today’s times. That’s what made me curious about Indian notes and I started collecting them a few years back. I first started collecting Indian notes of 1 rupee denomination. I started looking out for the different kinds of designs that are featured on them. I started looking up on the internet for currency notes in India of the denomination one. Then, I realized that collecting Indian notes is a hobby that many pursue.


That’s what got me going, I started networking with other collectors like me. There are some who have been collecting Indian notes since 30 years, 40 years and so. It feels great to stay in touch with such experts because they keep sharing their insights and opinions about various aspects related to the hobby. I think it is very important to connect with the fraternity at a deeper level for this wonderful hobby to survive. After I ended my quest for collecting 1 rupee Indian notes, I moved on to other denominations. I recently came to know that high value denomination like 1000 rupees was also issued back in the times of East India Company. Then it struck me that 1000 rupees in those days might be worth crores of rupees of today’s times. I asked myself why are Indian notes of the denomination 1 crore released now then? I did a bit of research and found out that such high denominated banknotes are issued by governments only to tackle the problem of inflation. 

Now when I look back I realized that questioning oneself from time to time is what makes you curious and keeps you engaged!

No comments:

Post a Comment